We’ve all been there – pressed for time, running out the door in the mornings and rushing through lunch in a vain bid to make a dent in your INBOX by the end of the day. Trying to be healthy should always be a priority, and if you’re a busy person who constantly skips meals, a healthy snack is a great way to get you on the right path.
Usually it is convenient to reach for the chips and the candy or grab a quick, cheap donut or bagel in the morning, but there are super delicious snacks out there that are healthy as well!
Here are some great snacking and health tips to get you started:
Tip #1: Watch Your Sugar Intake
Keep in mind to make sure your meals throughout the day are balanced and you’re not eating too much sugar. For instance, if you choose to go for the dried fruit, then refrain from eating a raw apple or vice versa. Fruit contains natural fruit sugar, which is bad for your teeth and your waistline if consumed in excess.
Tip #2: Watch What You Drink
Most of our sugar calories these days unfortunately come from drinks and sodas, so make sure you choose unsweetened or with no added sugar (fructose, high fructose corn syrup, and evaporated cane sugar all counts as sugar).
Tip #3: Keep Track of the Types of Foods You Eat
Keeping track of what you eat is important as well. Not just the amount of calories you consume, but how much sodium, sugar, protein and fiber you’re consuming in a day affects everything from your mood to your energy and concentration levels. There are many different programs available online you can use to keep track of all that data. Weight Watchers is one of the most popular. Once you get into the swing of things, you’ll find these programs will give you a very good idea of foods to eat more of and foods to eat less of.
Tip #4: Get Active!
Exercising every day for at least for 30 minutes is essential. This will help you keep a healthy body from the inside out. You don’t have to go to the gym if that isn’t your cup of tea. Keep it fun and exciting by changing your routine each day and doing something you really like. That way your body will always be challenged and it will keep you motivated, because it’s something you enjoy. Healthy and low-impact exercises include swimming, roller-blading, ice-skating, biking, dog-walking and yoga. Gardening and cleaning also count if you’re able to keep up a sustained effort for 30 minutes or more!
Top 10 Healthy Snacks We Recommend
The best way you can be sure you snack healthy is to shop healthy. It may take a small revision of your weekly shopping list, but if you hit the grocery store with a plan to buy any of the following, your health (and your waistline!) will thank you in the coming week ahead.
Here are some great healthy snacks when you’re on the go:
– A handful of nuts (I would recommend organic, raw)
– A cup of kefir. Kefir is an enzyme-rich, cultured food a little like yogurt, filled with belly-friendly micro-organisms. They have tons of flavors and you can keep a bottle at work in the fridge.
– Some dried fruit (organic with no added sugar)
– Veggie chips (they have carrot, beet and more!)
– Amazing Grass Bar (the best flavors are chocolate, regular and peanut butter)
– Voskos Greek individual Yogurt (Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt and has more active cultures)
– Kale chips (super nutritious and available in many different flavors)
– Synergy Kombucha (it’s more of an acquired taste, but if you like it choose from a ton of different flavors such as citrus, trilogy, strawberry, etc.)
– Raw fruit such as an apple, banana or a handful of grapes (fruit is filling and very healthy, just make sure you’re not eating too much and adding too much sugar to your diet)
– Organic light string cheese (low in calories and gives you bone strengthening calcium and protein). Mozzarella is the healthiest.
These are just some ideas to get you on the right path of eating and feeling healthy. Snacking throughout the day will keep your tummy full and keep you away from bad cravings; all you have to do is choose the right snacks, and you’ll find that you naturally stay away from the wrong ones.
Eating a healthy snack is just the first step in the right direction and everyone can do it with a little knowledge and commitment!